I’ve not abandoned work on AAC encoder completely.
For example, I think now my psy model calculates and handles bitrate better. Now the only goals I set to myself are:
- Make encoder provide psy model lookahead samples for block switching
- Finetune psy model, or more specifically:
- block switching decision
- finish M/S case handling (for now it does not update all psy model information and result in artifacts on several test samples)
- adjust scalefactors to reduce quantisation distortion
- some other tricks from 3GPP TS26.403?
After that there are several ways to go: improve quality until it beats other encoders (at least libfaac), implement SBR/PS encoding (the latter is easier to do), introduce multichannel coding.
I suspect that at least one person will suggest to do it all.