More than two years ago I’ve posted what I considered should be high priority Libav projects. Let’s see what has been finished, what’s left and what should probably be added.
Working— fixed in the clean way (by removing it completely);
Proper filter system. When I say “proper” I mean the one that allows dynamic reconfiguring, handles errors and works for arbitrary inputs and outputs— some claim it’s been fixed;
libswscalereplacement. The one that doesn’t sap sanity when you look at its code. Maybe with a nicer API too. And better pixel format support.
Improve RM demuxer or maybe rewrite it from scratch— there’s a demuxer reimplementation from scratch is in the works, hopefully it will succeed;
- Add proper support for multirate RM streams — hopefully will be handled;
- Add IVR format demuxer — noone cares;
- Add ClearVideo decoder (that’s the last codec in RM that we don’t support, hopefully not for long) — noone cares and I lost interest too.
Other Intel codecs support
- Improve Indeo4 decoder (it still has some features lacking) — B-frames support was added, transparency support is still not there;
Improve Intel Audio Coder decoder— fixed too.
On2 codecs support
On2 VP7 decoder (we still can implement it faster than certain Baidu rival releases its source code)— nothing to say except “many thanks, Peter!” and “Baidu, I’ve not expected anything else from you”(and indeed we got what we expected, i.e. total lack of support);
- On2 VP4 decoder;
On2 AVC decoder (that stands for “Audio for Video Codec”)— done.
Micro$oft (screen) codecs support
Add M$ Screen Codec 1 decoder; Add M$ Screen Codec 2 decoder; Add M$ Expression Encoder Screen Codec decoder;
- Add beta Windows Media Video 9 interlaced decoding — maybe it’s better left unfixed.
- Fix beta Windows Media Video 9 P-frames decoding — again, it’s unlikely to ever happen because there are not so many people who can RE intended behaviour and even less people who can RE
libavcodec/vc1dec.cto put the fix there.
QuickTime codecs support
Add Rottenfruit Intermediate Codec decoder;
- Add any other codec decoder — noone cares about Pixlet, noone cares enough to add QDesign Music 1 etc..
- Add GoToMeeting 2-4 decoder — GoToWebinary aka
G2M4is done, the rest is permanently stalled (and I’ve passed stalling duties to Diego);
Add more screen codec decoders— someone asked for FIC Video and got it;
- Add more game format decoders (especially Discworld Noir BMV) — I should return to it;
Add more audio (especially speech) codec decoders— Opus decoder is enough.
So, if the tast was moderately interesting it was done, fringe stuff was not taken, serious stuff was not taken either (most people I know agree that swscaler should be replaced yet noone wants to work on the replacement).
And what high priority projects for Libav do I see in the future? None really. Just none.