There are currently 14 lossless audio codecs mentioned on MultiMedia Wiki page (look here for further links):
- Proprietary (Apple Lossless, Meridian Lossless Packing, Real Lossless, WMA Lossless)
- Closed source (LA, LPAC, LTAC, OptimFROG, RK Audio)
- Open source (Bonk, FLAC, MPEG-4 ALS, Monkey’s Audio, Shorten, TrueAudio, WavPack)
FFmpeg currently has decoders for Bonk, FLAC, Shorten, TrueAudio and Apple Lossless. So, there are at least MPEG-4 ALS, Monkey’s Audio and WavPack decoders can be added.
I will work on WavPack decoder and ALS (I hope standard will appear soon). What about Monkey’s Audio? Yes, it’s popular but it has following difficulties for implementation:
- It has incredibly largeÂ frame sizes (it may be more than one million samples) while competitors stick around 64k or less (hence the compression gain for MA). Current FFmpeg design cannot handle such frames.
- Source code is a mess – for almost every action there are at least several if(ver >= …) or if(ver< ...). Format is too unstable for me.
Well, I still hope it will be implemented some day.