Short story: boring.
As I wrote more than a year ago the codec itself is rather simple and not that interesting (rather simple VLC coding plus DCT). Version
KB2f was floating point,
KB2i have switched to 16-bit integers wherever possible (including DCT, see links below). And I don’t really have content that I’d like to watch and unlikely to ever have it since my favourite games were released mostly before 2000 (that reminds me of Discworld Noir BMV format to RE…).
So here’s the list of what I’ve not done so far:
- there are bugs in bitstream parsing, especially for
- I was too lazy to add all integer tables for newer versions, so it still uses floating point code for older version;
- DC prediction (it uses median prediction with weird neighbours selection);
- MV prediction;
- motion compensation functions;
- loop filtering;
- definitely more of issues to resolve.
I’ll put known details to MultimediaWiki later.
For those interested compressed patch is here.
P.S. I reserve right to look at newer versions if they appear and complain about them being equally boring.